I Cor 16:14

"Let all that you do be done with love." I Cor 16:14

Friday, January 14, 2011

A Time to Mend . . .

Sometimes I enjoy doing a little mending (as long as I don't let it pile up!)  For me it's a nice time to pause and give a needed item a little TLC to extend it's wear.

Today, I thought I would share the items I have been working on.


This fuzzy drawstring purse belongs to my 6-year old niece.  The polyester lining was tearing badly so,  I ripped it out and made a new lining out of a thicker silky material and sewed it inside.  My nieces little 2-year old brother also enjoys playing with it (I can just imagine the cars and trucks that go inside!)  Well, anyway it is ready for them to enjoy using again!

This sequined sweater of mine had a few loose sequins.  With just a needle and thread I took care of that!  I like to wear this in the winter; I like how it adds a bit of bling to an otherwise gray day!


I wish I had a mannequin to put this Victorian coat on to show you because this picture just doesn't do it justice.  This is probably the most interesting item in my wardrobe.  A few years ago in December I was browsing e-bay for vintage clothing items.  My eyes fell on this coat and I was intrigued by it.  It is handmade out of a very soft black velvet.  It is completely lined and includes a hood with rabbit fur on the edge (which is still in excellent condition.)  I ended up winning the bid which I was so excited about.  Unfortunately, the seller bought it at a thrift store and so she didn't know it's history which is too bad.  The coat is a little narrow across my shoulders and so one of the seams gave way a little bit.  With just a few stitches it was fine.  I've had to mend the hem several times and other seams as well.  I like to think about who made those first stitches and what events she wore the coat to.  I was a big fan of the Betsy-Tacy books written by Maud Hart Lovelace when I was a girl.  I like to think, like those girls, that she went a courtin' in the winter time wearing this Victorian beauty.  Yes, I am a bit of a romantic if you can't tell!!  But, isn't it fun to imagine?

Well, this is what I have been up to.  I am off to hem some boy scout pants for a friend of mine.

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: